Sunday, July 21, 2013

Show Jumping!


Sunday really rolled around faster than any of us could have expected. Eventing is such an addicting sport because the ending is always bitter sweet. Though all sports require hard work and determination, Three Day Eventing pushes us by relying on that one score to received on the first day of dressage, then testing our determination for two more nail-biting phases. 
Luckily the show ended very well for Area 6, both riders jumped lovely rounds with Brynn and Michael successfully completing their third one star on their dressage score!



Brynn and Michael:

Today was  surreal. We woke up bright and early to be at the barn by 5:30 to start getting the boys ready for the final jog. Natalie and I were on our way to the Rolex Jog Lane when we felt a rain drop and then another...before we knew it we were drenched and no one could tell that we groomed our horses. Michael passed the jog with flying colors and even though Michael has been looking great, the relief one feels when the ground jury says accepted. We then rushed back to the barns to change into our show jumping outfits, including our gorgeous Ariat Monaco jackets. Natalie and I met Dayna to walk the course. 
Brynn is clearly very excited about her Ariat Jacket


The course was beautiful including a brick wall, liverpool, and triple combination. As I watched a few rounds, the butterflies slowly crept into my stomach. I felt much better once I was on Michael. Michael felt surprisingly full of himself and I am so glad I increased my fitness program in preparation for this event. Walking down the tunnel to the Rolex stadium Michael jigged the whole way, between the two of us there was probably enough excitement and nerves to power a city. I rode in to the stadium, took a look around and a deep breath and just started working my way through the course. 
It was a lovely ride! Michael was very responsive and everything seemed to flow out of stride. We jumped double clean to finish on our dressage score and 7th individually! I cannot express what an amazing experience this was and I hope to come back next year. 




Thank you so much to Dayna Lynd Pugh and Shannon Lilley I would not have made it here without you guys. I am extremely grateful to my parents and friends for all of there support. Michael is heading home tomorrow morning for a well deserved break, but we will hopefully be back out soon. 

Shannon giving Michael a last minute pep talk.



Once again thank you so much, we really enjoyed this adventure. Goooo Michael and Area 6!!!


Here are Natalie's thoughts on how the day went:


I couldn't be happier with Casey's stadium round today. Riding in the Rolex Arena is an absolutely amazing experience and will leave an everlasting impression in my mind. Just being in that legendary atmosphere gives you a feeling of accomplishment and pride. Casey was such a good boy today, and had a picture perfect round. It was like riding on a cloud! He was soft, supple, and round to every fence. He was very tuned in to all of my signals and was absolutely amazing. It was a great way to end the weekend.




This past week here at the Kentucky Horse Park has been like a dream. Everything seems so surreal, and I can't believe it is already over. While grazing the horses tonight, Brynn and I commented on how it felt like we had just arrived again. At the same time, it will be nice to return to a less humid climate in California. Anyway, I couldn't be more proud of Casey. We have made so much progress since our recent move to Flying Tail Farms and we can only get better from here.





 This week has really inspired me to push myself, and go out there and give it everything I've got. Thank you so much to the officials and everyone who has put so much effort into putting the show together. David O'Connor, you designed an amazing course that pushed us to do our best, but also have fun. Thank you to Dayna for being such an amazing coach and putting up with us all week. I am so glad that I took a chance and tried out for the team, and I will definitely be back in the future!

All the Area 6 stuff getting ready to go!
Kelly making sure we have all the stuff we need for next year, or "Da Boom Bucket"

Good old NAJYRC fun!

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent blog. I am so proud of all of you girls, Natalie, Brynn, Kelly and Ainsleigh. The time and effort that you all put into this during one of the busiest weeks of your lives shows how dedicated and passionate you are. I can only hope that other kids read this and get inspired to try out for NAJYRC and experience this for themselves. It really is something you will keep with you for the rest of your lives. It is not just "another horse show". I think you captured that so well in this blog. Thank you for a most wonderful week,

    Love you girls,

    Dayna

    ReplyDelete